• Eyeshadow Dupe: MAC “Club” & Wet N Wild’s “Definer” from the Comfort Zone Palette

by  • September 15, 2011 • Swatches, Wet N Wild • 35 Comments

Today I am going to share a swatch comparison between MAC’s “Club” eyeshadow (which is a great duochrome that I featured in my last EOTD here) and the “Definer” shadow on the right-hand side of Wet N Wild’s “Comfort Zone” palette, the drugstore dupe of MAC’s “Club.”

MAC’s “Club” – It looks pretty beat up. It’s just well-loved.

Wet N Wild’s “Comfort Zone” Palette, Definer (right side) - Well… it *used* to say Definer.

The MAC shadow retails for $15 USD (or $11.50 USD if you purchase the refill pan), and can be purchased on MAC’s website or at MAC standalone stores and counters. The Wet N Wild “Comfort Zone” palette (which has 8 shadows) retails for $4.99 USD and can be purchased at drugstores such as Walmart, Walgreens, etc.

Below are a series of swatches. The first set is swatched over Too Faced Shadow Insurance (original) alone, and the second set is over Too Faced Shadow Insurance (original) but with a black base. I used Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner as the base, in “Blackest Black.” In all swatches, the Wet N Wild shadow is on the left, and the MAC shadow is on the right. My thoughts comparing the two are summarized after each set of swatches.

Too Faced Shadow Insurance alone

Left: Wet N Wild, right: Mac

Wet N Wild

MAC

MAC’s “Club” has a softer brown base, where as Wet N Wild’s has a strong, very terracotta-red base. At the same time, the shift of green in Wet N Wild’s shadow over just a primer is far stronger with more iridescence than MAC’s, where the green shift is more subtle and it has a muted sheen. Wet N Wild’s is easily the more pigmented of the two, where MAC’s does take some building up to get some opacity. However, some may feel that MAC’s is more wearable for day-to-day due to how it is the quieter of the two. For a final note, MAC’s is softer and more finely milled than Wet N Wild’s shadow.

Too Faced Shadow Insurance + black base

Left: Wet N Wild, right: Mac

Wet N Wild

MAC

Here it becomes more difficult to see any difference between the two. When over a black base, the green duochrome really stands out in both the shadows. What stays the same is that Wet N Wild’s maintains a stronger sheen to it, and is shinier-looking than MAC’s “Club.” The green between the two is very similar, with a deep, jewel-like green. The Wet N Wild shadow seems to have some subtle blue and yellow glitter within it (as seen in second picture) but it is hardly noticeable from a distance. MAC’s does not have glitter like that and remains the softer shadow in texture.

Do I have a preference between the two? You could really go with either. I really like how blendable and subtle MAC’s “Club” is, and it has the better texture overall… but there is also no denying that in terms of price, Wet N Wild wins out. (I mean, come on, $4.99 and you get eight highly-pigmented shadows!)

I hope these swatches were helpful. Smile

Share this post:Facebook7Twitter0Google+0tumblrPinterest10Reddit0StumbleUpon0Email
    Mandy

About

My name is Mandy and I'm the person behind the posts you read here at Prettymaking. I like spooky things, sci-fi shows & movies, skull earrings, and sloths. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

35 Responses to Eyeshadow Dupe: MAC “Club” & Wet N Wild’s “Definer” from the Comfort Zone Palette

1. Olgie
      September 15, 2011 at 2:09 am

Nice comparison! I actually find the WnW eyeshadow much easier to apply than Club. However, they’re both beautiful eyeshadows.

2. September 15, 2011 at 2:13 am

More dupes! That is one of the things I google the most, besides swatches. Smile

3. September 15, 2011 at 2:16 am

I definitely think Wet N Wild’s being more pigmented makes it easier to build up quicker, but for a softer effect, I think MAC’s is easier to use for that…mostly since it is less pigmented, haha. There’s practically no different between the two when they are over a black base, though, and both look gorgeous!

4. September 15, 2011 at 2:17 am

I love me some dupes! I wonder if any of the other colors in the “Comfort Zone” palette could be considered dupes??? Hmm…

5. September 15, 2011 at 2:51 am

l’oreal has a HIP pigment that’s the same color too Grin i love those duochrome type shades

6. September 15, 2011 at 3:09 am

Actually, Temptalia did a review on this palette and she mentions some other shades that are similar to the ones in WnW palette! LInk to the post: http://www.temptalia.com/wet-n-wild-comfort-zone-eyeshadow-palette-review-photos-swatches

7. September 15, 2011 at 3:24 am

Hot damn! Over a black base! I have the dupe that is in the WnW Night Elf palette. I’m trying it over a black base tomorrow!

8. September 15, 2011 at 3:27 am

Wet & Wild seems really promising. I see very good swatches of them in comparison to high end brands too and the result is almost the same.

Following you right now! Love your smokey eye make up.

9. September 15, 2011 at 4:07 am

WOW! I have the WNW palette and now I know I have a dupe for MAC’s Club. I hear a lot about Club because everyone seems to love it. Thanks for the swatches and info!

10. citizensofbeauty
      September 15, 2011 at 4:45 am

wow- honestly they look completely identical! Great find, I am impressed…

11. Alicia Tonello
      September 15, 2011 at 7:09 am

Wow – this is SUPER helpful! I have to get my hands on this Wet n Wild palette! In the photos with the TFI alone, I actually like the look of the WnW shadow better.

12. September 15, 2011 at 7:38 am

I own both, but you’ve made me want to dig out my WnW one and use it every day for a week Grin GREAT swatches!

13. September 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

Awesome swatches! I have lots of ‘dupes’ for Club but I’ve never seen the two together so this is really helpful Smile

14. September 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Wow! That really is an exact dupe! I need to get this Wet n Wild palette!

15. Miss L
      September 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Great swatches! They do look very very similar.

16. Drama & Makeup
      September 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm

” It looks pretty beat up. It’s just well-loved.”
      Somebody should give you an award for this hahahahahhahaha
      xoxo
      S.

17. PowerFemmeBlog
      September 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I don’t have Club, but I do have the wNw palette and always suspected these were a close dupe based on pictures of Club I have seen. Thanks for the confirmation!

18. September 16, 2011 at 12:11 am

Oooh! I don’t read Temptalia very often but I’m glad you shared this link.I didn’t realize the palette carried so many colors similar to other brands!

19. September 16, 2011 at 12:17 am

I don’t tend to go for L’Oreal’s HiP pigments very often. The few I’ve tried have been difficult to use or not very pigmented Frown Which one is similar to these? I probably haven’t tried it yet!

20. September 16, 2011 at 12:18 am

Yes! One of my favorite things is taking a duochrome shadow and putting it over a black base. It works great with loose eyeshadows, as well! (Sometimes better than eyeshadow sealers like LA Splash or Pixie Epoxy, etc)

21. September 16, 2011 at 12:20 am

Wet N Wild can sometimes be hit or miss, but they eyeshadows recently have been greatly improved and this palette is probably one of their best products they have out right now! Smile Also, the photography on your blog is amazing!

22. September 16, 2011 at 12:20 am

intrepid Smile

23. September 16, 2011 at 12:21 am

No problem! It’s such a fun shade and I love how depending on the base, it transforms like a chameleon. Smile

24. September 16, 2011 at 12:21 am

I know, they look almost exactly alike, especially in the second set of swatches!

25. September 16, 2011 at 12:23 am

I loved putting together this side-by-side post comparing them because I know I find posts like those helpful, as well! I’m glad you liked it. Smile For the price of the palette and the quality of its shadows in general, I definitely recommend it!

26. September 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

Oh I know! When I remember I have either of them in my collection, I end up wearing them like 3 or 4 times in one week, before I force myself to wear a different look. LOL

27. September 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

You have it now!!! Yay, Ulta! Smile

28. September 16, 2011 at 12:25 am

I love side by sides because they give you a good chance to really compare the shadows! Smile

29. September 16, 2011 at 12:25 am

Thank you! They are almost like twins. Smile

30. September 16, 2011 at 12:26 am

Haha, thanks! Wink

31. September 16, 2011 at 12:26 am

No problem! Don’t you love that palette? It’s got so many great colors in it… and it’s perfect for fall, I think.

32. PowerFemmeBlog
      September 16, 2011 at 1:10 am

I do love it- I bought it mostly for the neutral shades and the awesome definer, but I am starting to experiment with greens a bit more too.

33. September 17, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Nice post and very helpful!

34. September 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

You’re welcome! I know, I was glad to find that out!

35. Aly7
      September 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm

darn it. I went to get this comfot zone palette and they were out of it so I got petal pusher. its not very pigmented…. oh wellSmile great dupe!